Learn the workflow for converting between shapes layers and paths in Photoshop.
- When working with Shape Layers, inevitably,…sometimes you draw a Shape when you wanted a Path,…and sometimes you draw a Path when you wanted a Shape,…so this movie is all about how we can…convert one to the other.…I have here a Shape layer,…and I want to convert it to a Path.…When that layer is selected, if I look on the Path's panel,…we see the Path listed.…If I deselect the layer that's going to go away,…so I just need to copy this Path,…and I can do that just by double-clicking on it,…clicking OK, and we now have that as a copy.…Back to my Layers panel, I can delete that Shape layer.…
But the Path remains.…So now let's go in the other direction.…I'll come to the Path panel where I have this Work Path.…To convert this to a Shape layer,…activate the Path as I have done here,…come to the Layers panel,…and choose Solid Color.…That Path becomes a Vector Mask for the Color Fill layer,…which is another way of saying…that it becomes a Shape layer.…
- Creating basic shapes and lines
- Converting shapes to paths (and vice versa)
- Inverting paths and shapes
- Transforming shapes
- Designing with shape layers
- Creating web buttons, guides, and collages with shape layers
- Working with type and shape layers
- Creating custom shapes with Adobe Capture and Illustrator
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Filters (2015)with Nigel French6h 32m Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
1. Creating Basic Shapes
2. Editing Shapes
3. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 1
4. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 2
5. Working with Custom Shapes
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.