When Adobe added a Device Preview feature to XD they essentially add device testing to the application. In this video the author shows you how to connect to iOS and Android devices to test your XD project
- [Narrator] Having the ability to preview your app by clicking on the little play button up here is great, but nothing can beat device testing. How does it look on an actual device? And that capability is built into experienced design. It's right here. It's the device preview. For device preview to work you need to install the XD preview app, either in the app store, or in the Google Play store on to your Android or iOS device. Once you've done that then, you can then start to preview.
Now the key here is that you need to connect your device using USB. It's got to be directly connected to your computer. But, once you click device preview, it's right there. See it says my iPhone. Now I'm going to be using reflector two here to show you what is going on. So we'll go over to reflector and right here on the left is my iPhone and what I'm going to do is I'm going to tap the XD icon and that will open the experience design.
And sometimes you're going to be asked do you want to connect a USB, yes you do. So, I'm just going to tap yes. And I'm going to open an XD document on my desktop. And then if I come back there it is and you can see that I can scroll through it. Now, I have an iPhone 6 here, so it's looking a little big on this display, so I'm just going to tap on the Xian icon. You can see that I can visit the Terra Cotta Warriors, which I want to do so I'm going to tap on that. And then if I want to go back I can tap on the back button that is connected.
So that's working with iOS. Now you got the same capability here with an Android device. Now I have this connected to a Nexus 5. So, I'm just going to tap the icon and you can see, there it is, it launches. And, and in it comes and all I have to do is tap Xian here and over it comes. Let's go visit the Terra Cotta Warriors, there we are, click the back button, click the back button and away you go.
So, it's not that difficult to do. You can actually test everything on your device and it's really great because you really get to see if you've made any mistakes, whether things need to be moved, how easy it is to use and, on top of that, you can probably use it for UI testing. So, you can bring it into a test lab and have users test it and you can record the tests or do whatever you want, but it's on a device. So, the key here again. Connect the device to your computer using a USB cable, click on device preview, and then open up your device and go ahead and test away.
- Navigating the XD interface
- Using artboards and grids
- Adding content to layers
- Using the Repeat Grid feature
- Adding interactivity to a project
- Exporting content
- Sharing your work