In this video learn how to create, combine, and subtract complex objects in Adobe XD.
- [Instructor] Adobe XD makes it easy to create simple and complex shapes. I'm just going to create an iPhone layout, just to start. And the first thing I'm going to do is select the elipse tool. So what I want to make is actually a map icon, so as I position my cursor right here in the center, I can see those guides, I can hold down the option key and the shift key to create a perfect circle right there in the center. And then I can change the color as well, the fill, and I can zoom in, command plus, if you're on a Mac, control plus, if you're on a PC, and space bar to pan around, alright.
But I want to make this a little more complex because for any shape that you've created, you actually have the individual points that you can modify. So if you just double click on that shape, you can actually jump in and modify these points, if you want to move them in move them out, you get the idea. Add points if you want to, but what I love is you can actually eliminate the BZA points, so if you just double click on it, you can make this to a sharp point and make my map icon very simply.
But I'm going to go beyond this because I'm going to select another circle, and coming right over here, holding down the same keys, the option and shift key, I can make another circle because I want to make this hollow in the center. So I'll just move this down, selecting these two objects, as soon as I have two objects selected, I go over here and I can see I can actually select anyone of these bullion operations as they're known. I'm going to select this second one which is to subtract or move that from the center.
If I move this over here, you can see sure enough, there's nothing on the inside, and that looks fantastic. Let's move that back. But let's go beyond that, because what if you didn't get it perfectly in the center. For any of these bullion operations, in fact, you know you can change them, that's right, change them any way you want, but you can have access to that data so you can always adjust this accordingly to make sure it's exactly in the center. So you never actually lose data when you're using these bullion operations, and really any shape you draw you're going to have access to those BZA points, making creating easy in the Adobe XD.
The last thing I'm going to do is go to file, save, and I'm going to save this in my exercise file, so if you do have access to the exercise files, this is in the 01 final, and that's what you have in there, I'm just calling it App XD, and that's where all the final files are, in their respective folders.
- Drawing and importing shapes and graphics
- Using the new color tools
- Editing area text
- Using layers
- Creating and editing symbols
- Previewing on a device
- Previewing in a browser and adding comments
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 12/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover creating and importing; using layout grids and UI resources; working with assets; prototyping; and reviewing and exporting.