Teaches the use of RSS data for blogs, podcasts, and images.
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Todd Perkins, and I absolutely love working with Flash and ActionScript. I'm the author of several lynda.com titles including ActionScript 3.0 and Flash CS3 Beyond The Basics, and a few others. Flash CS3 Fundamentals and ActionScript 3.0 Projects Game Development. In addition to that I'm also an Adobe Certified instructor in Flash. I absolutely love working in Flash! In this title we'll work with using ActionScript to grab XML data and use that data in Flash.
One of the things that we'll be doing that's really exciting is we'll use PHP to do things that ActionScript cannot do like grab data from a remote location and save that data in a local file. Let's take a look at some of the applications that we'll build. We'll take a look at an application that reads data from a blog on a remote website and we can choose which blog posts we'd like to read and we can see images from that blog and we can see the date of the blog and we can even view the blog online if we want to.
We'll take a look at grabbing data from a podcast so you can choose which podcast episode you'd like to view and we'll link to the podcast episode so we can watch that episode online. Another thing that we'll do is grab images from flickr.com and display them in Flash so we'll load them from a remote URL using the Flickr API, so using our Flash application, you could type a value in the Search field and search Flickr for images.
The final images appear in Flash and you can use them in any way you'd like in Flash. So those are just some of the things we're going to be building in this title, so again I'm really excited about it, and I sure hope you are too.
- Understanding XML data
- Creating XML in ActionScript 3.0
- Working with external XML data
- Building a reusable RSS reader class
- Using PHP with XML
- Working with blogs
- Working with Flickr images using the Flickr API
- Working with podcasts
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding XML Data
2. Creating XML in ActionScript 3.0
3. Working with External XML Data
4. Building a Reusable RSS Reader Class
Exploring an RSS file3m 1s
5. Using PHP with XML Data
6. Working with Blogs
7. Working with the Flickr API
8. Working with Podcasts
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.