Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with tables in InDesign, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…Tables in InDesign are powerful both for design…and for displaying data in a logical way.…For accessibility purposes however, you want to…avoid using tables for layout purposes.…As tables from an accessibility point of view are for data only.…And will often fail validation if they don't conform to data type structure.…Creating a table with lots of merge cells and no headers is asking for trouble.…Let's take a look at how to format and define table headers in InDesign.…Now beginning this video with the…tables.indd file already open on my computer.…
And as you can see we have a document that has a table on the first page here,…and if we jump over to the next page you'll see we have a table here as well.…Now what I'm going to do, I want to export this PDF and I want to make sure.…I'll just put this on my desktop.…We'll call this tables and I'll go ahead and click the save button.…We'll use the accessible PDF preset.…And we'll go ahead and export this.…Now, what I really want to focus on is, I just want to open up the…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.