Using Microsoft Word and Adobe InDesign, it's now much easier to create valid, accessible PDF files. Learn how.
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Chad Chelius and welcome to Creating Accessible PDFs. In this course, we'll learn how to generate accessible PDF files that read correctly for users using assistive devices such as screen readers. I'll start by creating a document in Word using a variety of different techniques that will allow me to finalize that document as a completely accessible PDF file. Next we'll look at a similar process using InDesign, creating a document in InDesign specifically formatted to be finalized as an accessible PDF.
Finally, we'll take an existing PDF which was not formatted for accessibility and see what it takes to remediate it into a fully accessible document for people with visual and mobility impairments. Accessibility is often overlooked, but creating an accessible PDF is necessary if you want people with visual impairments to be able to use your documents and it's often a requirement for educational and government institutions. Now let's get started with Creating Accessible PDFs.
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.