Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding reading order, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…In this video, we're going to take a look at something that is very…important to understand, when working with…accessible PDF files, and that's reading order.…Now many users tend to speak of this as one thing,…but it's actually two, and it can get a little confusing.…So I'd like to demystify this, so you…have a better understanding of what reading order is.…Now I'm beginning this video with the…Order.pdf file already opened on my computer.…And what I'd like to do is just kind of demonstrate, you…know, visually when I look at this as a sighted user.…
I look at this content and I say, 1, 2, 3, 4.…Makes sense.…But, there are some hidden components that could provide…different results to somebody who's using a screen reading device.…So, let me demonstrate.…I'm going to go to the View menu.…Choose Read Out Loud.…And, I want to make sure that Read Out Loud is activated.…And then, I'll just choose Read This Page Only.…>> 4, 3, 2, 1.…>> Now, as you can see, somebody who's using a screen…reading device and certainly the Read Out Loud feature in Acrobat.…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.