Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding design considerations, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…Let's talk about some design considerations that you should keep in…mind when you're creating content destined to be an accessible PDF file.…If I can give you any word of advice up front, regarding creation…of accessible PDF files, is to keep…accessibility in mind during the design stage.…Too often we're tasked with remediating a document after the fact.…And as you'll learn throughout this…course, you're much better off implementing…features in the source document, than trying to remediate it after the fact.…So, what should you consider?…Well, you don't want to sacrifice design when creating an accessible…document, but complex designs can be more challenging than simpler ones.…
So when the question arises, lean towards a simpler design.…Look at contrast.…Many agencies and companies have contrast requirements for…accessibility that is targeted towards low vision users.…So when picking the color palette for your project,…a palette of pastel colors could get you into trouble.…Be sure to watch the contrast video in this course for techniques…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.