Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding Word styles, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…Using styles in Word provides several benefits that are…crucial in creating a properly structured, accessible PDF file.…For one, it provides the ability to efficiently format texts consistently in…your project, which in and of itself is not related to accessibility.…That being said, the styles provide a vehicle for defining the structure…that will end up getting passed on when exporting to a PDF.…Now, just a reminder that you can follow along on…the Mac platform creating styles just as I'm doing here.…
However, the information will not get passed on to the resulting PDF.…You'll need to move the Word document to…a Windows computer in order for that to occur.…Now, I'm starting with this styles.doc document already open on my computer.…And I'm just going to zoom in a little bit…here, because we basically have an unformatted document right now.…And what I want to do is, I want to apply some formatting to it.…So, I'm going to start off by creating some body copy.…So, what I'll do is, I'm just going to select this paragraph.…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.