Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding PDF remediation in Acrobat, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
PDF remediation is the process of fixing and making adjustments to a PDF document to make it properly accessible to users with visual impairments. Now throughout this course so far, we've been performing some minor remediation to documents because most of the work had been performed in the source file. Here's what you need to know. By beginning with a blank PDF file so to speak, you have to do significantly more remediation because no features had been added to the source file. Now this workflow is not totally uncommon.
Often, users receive PDF files after the fact that require remediation. So what doest this mean? Well, I have a document open right now that needs remediation, but we're starting from ground zero here. If we go to the Tags panel, and you'll see that we have absolutely no tags. And because of that, we have no reading order to find. You can see, there's really nothing to, to see here. So, in addition, any of the images are not going to have any alternate text. There's certainly no bookmarks in here, as you can see here.
And we really just don't have any information to go off of at this point. So, as you can see, we have our work cut out for us, but it's certainly possible, with a little know how and some invested time, we can remediate documents to make them accessible.
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.