Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Taking a tour of an accessible PDF file, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…So what are the components contained in a PDF file that make it accessible?…Good question.…The thing is, there's nothing really apparent to…a sighted user unless you look under the hood.…The reality is, that to a sighted user, an accessible PDF…looks the same visually as a PDF that is not accessible.…So in order to identify the elements of a PDF that make it accessible,…we need to open up some areas that you might not have touched before.…Let's take a closer look.…I'm starting with the PDF_tour.pdf file open on my computer.…
And the first area we're going to go to is the metadata area.…Now to access that we'll go to the File menu and choose Properties.…And I'm going to click on this Description tab right here.…Metadata is information that describes the document itself.…This is one area that benefits both sighted and non-sighted users alike.…Not only does it add to the accessibility of a document, but it…provides valuable information to search engines when…the PDF is posted on the internet.…The metadata for a file is found in this document properties area.…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.