Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Tagging tables for accessibility in Word, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…Tables are important elements for conveying data-oriented…information and should be used as such.…Using tables strictly for visual purposes is highly discouraged in the…realm of accessibility, and will often cause PDF validation to fail.…So a good rule of thumb is to use tables for showing data relationships only.…Let me briefly remind you that tables can be…inserted in Word documents on the Mac platform as well.…However, the information will not be passed onto the PDF on the Mac platform.…
You will need to create the PDF document from…Word on a Windows computer to achieve the same result.…Now I'm beginning this video with the…Tables Word document already open on my computer.…And I'm just going to scroll down in the document, because I…already have a table that I inserted and formatted in this document.…Now, one of the things that is helpful for…accessibility is to insert a caption for the table.…It can describe information about the table, or just say what the table is.…So what we could do here is we can click to…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.