- Why spot colors are necessary
- Making a decision between spot and process colors
- Choosing a spot color
- Understanding the effects of stock on color
- Printing spot colors digitally
- Using varnishes
- Creating a multi-tone image in Photoshop
- Adding Pantone color swatches to Illustrator
- Creating spot varnishes in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Using preflight profiles in Acrobat
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hi, I'm Claudia McCue, and you're about to enter the world of spot colors and varnishes. Now you've probably already discovered there are limits to the range of colors that you can print in combinations of cyan, magenta, yellow, and black, and in this course, I'm gonna show you how you can go beyond those limitations by using the huge spectrum of spot colors available to you, and the enhancements possible with specialty finishes such as spot gloss varnishes. Now while spot colors and varnishes may add a bit to the cost for a printing job, they really add visual impact.
You're gonna see how spot color inks are created by skilled ink craftsmen. And they use not just extensive controls, but truly the instincts of artisans. In fact I don't think you'll ever look at ink the same way again once you see what goes into creating it. You're going to learn how the new Pantone Plus series adds hundreds of colors to your design arsenal. And I even have a funny story about how that's not enough for some people. I'm gonna show you how you can correctly prepare your designs for printing with spot colors, and I'll also show you how to create artwork for spot varnishes. You might be pleasantly surprised by how easy that is.
And I'm even gonna show you how you can incorporate spot color into images, and that will let you enhance the reproduction of important colors that just can't be achieved with the old process inks. And finally, I hope your imagination is fired by seeing what's possible when you start thinking just a little bit beyond cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. So come on, and let's go start having some fun with ink.