Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring layout considerations in InDesign, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…InDesign is an incredibly powerful layout application…that provides for virtually unlimited design possibilities.…When it comes to creating an accessible PDF document, InDesign has…added some amazing features with the release of InDesign CS 5.5.…Now I'm using InDesign CC for this course, but you should be able to follow along…with me without any problems as long as you're using InDesign CS 5.5 or greater.…Now from a layout perspective in InDesign, there are…a few things you'll want to keep in mind…when you're creating your projects that will help you…considerably when trying to export to an accessible PDF file.…
From a text standpoint, the more flowing text you have, the easier…it is to control order of objects and how they appear when exported.…That's not to say you can't control it in InDesign.…It's just a bit easier.…For this chapter, I'm using a lamp that is less complex than others.…So I can accurately illustrate the key concept…you need to understand from an accessible PDF standpoint.…Layers.…You can see that this particular document has quite a few layers in it.…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.