Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring the JAWS reader, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…>> There are several accessible screen readers…on the market today, including the Jaws…PDF Reader, NVDA, Window-Eyes, even the Apple…voice over utility, just to name a few.…Some of these tools are free, and some of them are quite expensive.…The goal of this video however, is not to promote any…product at all, but more to help you to understand the…reading experience, and how the work that we do in making…an accessible PDF file translates to…the experience from an accessibility perspective.…
Now, I have some PDF documents already open on my…computer, and I've already launched the Jaws screen reading utility.…Now, this is going to be a little bit awkward…at times because Jaws is going to start reading my documents.…And using the Jaws tool, I can press the Esc key to stop it from reading.…So, you're going to hear that occasionally, but I want to…show you what happens when we're using this tool.…So, even though I have a couple of files…open, I'm going to open another one to demonstrate something.…
>> Context menu.…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.