Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Discovering if a PDF is currently accessible, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
So how do we know if a PDF file is accessible?…Well, that's a great question, and as a good friend…of mine, Vicky Richards, reminded me, all files are accessible.…Now, I know that's a bit of a misnomer…within the context of this course, but she's right.…To some extent, all files are accessible.…It really comes down to the level of accessibility.…Let me give you an example.…You have a PDF file.…And in the PDF file there's an image.…A screen reader will in fact identify that…image and may speak something like, image or photo.…
So by definition, the image has been recognized and this…image has been described to the reader thereby, making it accessible.…Now you and I, and especially someone reading this document…with a screen reader, would be very disappointed by this outcome.…Afterall, they've obtained no valuable information from the experience.…It would be like a sighted reader opening up…a 200 page book and reading the words book.…So back to our question.…How do we know if a PDF is accessible?…Well, let's take a look at the elements that allow us to do this.…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.