Creating Accessible PDFs (2014)
Accessibility means making sure your content is available to as many people as possible. When you make your PDFs accessible, it means adding tags, bookmarks, alt text, and other information that makes the files readable to users who are visually or mobility impaired. Using Microsoft Word and Adobe InDesign, it's now much easier to create valid, accessible PDF files. In this course, Chad Chelius explains why accessibility is important and what features an accessible PDF should include, before showing you two workflows for creating accessible PDFs: one in Word and one in InDesign. He also covers making an existing PDF file accessible using tools in Adobe Acrobat.
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Chad Chelius and welcome to Creating Accessible PDFs. In this course, we'll learn how to generate accessible PDF files that read correctly for users using assistive devices such as screen readers. I'll start by creating a document in Word using a variety of different techniques that will allow me to finalize that document as a completely accessible PDF file. Next we'll look at a similar process using InDesign, creating a document in InDesign specifically formatted to be finalized as an accessible PDF.
Finally, we'll take an existing PDF which was not formatted for accessibility and see what it takes to remediate it into a fully accessible document for people with visual and mobility impairments. Accessibility is often overlooked, but creating an accessible PDF is necessary if you want people with visual impairments to be able to use your documents and it's often a requirement for educational and government institutions. Now let's get started with Creating Accessible PDFs.
InDesign CC: EPUB Fundamentals237,756 Views
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFs246,341 Views
Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Essential Training372,402 Views
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documents656,470 Views
InDesign CS6 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPad387,563 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,676,368 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Mastery301,789 Views
Edge Animate Essential Training630,358 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Advanced391,623 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Intermediate546,796 Views