Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Converting a PDF back to a native format, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…You can see how much work is involved in re-mediating a PDF document from scratch.…Depending on your situation, you may decide that…you're better off going back to the source file.…The problem, either the source files no longer exist, or they can't be obtained.…One option is to export the PDF document back…to a native file format and tweak from there.…Now, I'm beginning this video with the…native .pdf file already open on my computer,…and I want to point out that your results…with this technique are definitely going to vary, and…I want to point out too, that some of the things that will happen when you save…to a Word document out of Acrobat, are…not going to be beneficial from an accessibility standpoint.…
So, there's some tradeoffs here.…But, I'm beginning this document with a native.pdf file open.…And I'm going to go to the File menu and go to Properties.…And if you click on the Description tab, one of the things that's somewhat helpful,…is that Acrobat will often display what file type created this PDF document.…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.