Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Controlling reading order, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…Although tag order is important for proper…reading on screen reading devices, reading order is…equally important for a certain segment of…users who reflow the content on different devices.…Let's take a closer look at how to…define the reading order using the features in InDesign.…Now, I'm beginning this video with the reading order InDesign file…already open, and we've already applied the article organization over here.…And what I'm going to do is, I'm going to export this…PDF so we can take a look at what this looks like.…
So I'll leave the name set to reading…order, and just export using my accessible PDF preset.…And again, I'm just going to show you, you…know, we do have the tagging structure here and…the tags are in their correct order, but…we want to take a look at the reading order.…So let's see what we have here.…I'm going to click on the Reading Order panel.…And take a look at the order of objects on here.…Now, although as a sighted user, you know, I know to look…at the right side because that's the cover of a tri fold…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.