Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Artifacting elements, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…When you have content in a PDF document that is tagged but…doesn't need to be, we perform a process called backgrounding or artifacting.…This essentially untags the content so that it will…no longer be read by a screen reading device.…Let's take a look at how to artifact elements, inside of Acrobat.…Now I'm beginning this video with the…artifact.pdf file already open on my computer.…And, what I'm going to do here is I'm…going to navigate to page two of this document.…And, I'm going to start by opening up the Order panel.…
So, I'll just go ahead and click on that.…And, the reason I'm doing this is because I…want to show you that we have four images…over here, and you can see it's already telling…us that it's a figure with no alternate text.…So, we either need to add alternative text or we need to artifact them.…Now, these four images really don't have…much meaning in the context of the brochure.…Visually, it looks nice, it adds to the balance of the brochure.…But from a content standpoint, it really doesn't do much for us.…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.