Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding alternative text in Word, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…Alternative text is a way of providing a description for pictures and graphics.…The idea here is to describe the image in its context to provide…the same meaning for a nonsighted user as it does for a sighted user.…There's a bit of an art to well written alternative text.…And often, this task lends itself to someone in an editorial role.…For more information about guidelines for writing alternative text.…You can go to the WebAIM website, where you'll find…techniques for writing good alternative text for your images and graphics.…
Word allows you to add alternative text for images directly within Word itself.…That will get passed on to the resulting PDF file.…Remember, Word for Mac allows you to do this as well.…But there is no mechanism in Word for Mac…to pass this information on to the resulting PDF file.…In order to achieve the same result, you'll need to open the…Word file on a Windows computer and create the PDF file there.…Now I'm starting with the alternate text file…already open on my computer and I'm simply…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.