Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding alternative text in Acrobat, part of Creating Accessible PDFs (2014).
…Any images in your PDF file that are tagged need to also…contain alternative text to provide a…contextual description to users of screen readers.…So I'm beginning this video with the…alternative.PDF file already open on my computer.…And we can add alternative text in a couple of different ways.…So one way that I'm going to do this is I'm going to go to my Order panel.…And the reason I go here is because you can see right away that…any of the figures that we've added…automatically say, Figure -- No alternative text exists.…
So what I'm going to do is I'm going to go to the…Options button here and I'm going to choose Show Reading Order panel.…And I'm then going to come over here and I'm going to click on that figure.…And then I'm going to right-click, and I'm going to choose Edit Alternate Text.…And I'm going to go ahead and enter some alternate text here.…Now again, we could make the argument here…that these should be artifacted and don't really…need alternative text, but I'm just going to keep…this simple and I'm going to type Roux logo.…
- What is accessibility?
- Understanding the experience of users with visual impairments
- How to know if a PDF is accessible
- Creating a PDF with PDFMaker
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and links
- Inserting alternative text
- Controlling tab and reading order from InDesign
- Creating cross-references in InDesign
- Adding tags, bookmarks, and alt text in Acrobat
- Using the Make Accessible Wizard
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
InDesign Insider Training: Interactive PDFswith David Blatner2h 22m Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Generating an Accessible PDF from Word
3. Generating an Accessible PDF from InDesign
4. Making an Existing PDF File Accessible
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.