Jane shares her investment strategies with you. She breaks down the market into its five basic building blocks—cash and equivalents, stocks, bonds, funds, and insurance products—and the different vehicles where you can invest these building blocks. She also covers topics such as the importance of a balanced portfolio, understanding and managing your risk, identifying value in the market, and building your "money muscles" over time. Plus, learn how to calculate the rate of return of a portfolio vs. general market performance. Last, Jane outlines the options for DIY investing, when it makes sense to work with an advisor, and how to avoid costly investment fees.
- Why should you invest?
- Understanding compound interest
- Comparing stocks, bonds, and funds
- Managing risk
- Building a portfolio
- Finding where to invest money
- Working with a financial advisor
Skill Level Intermediate
- The concept of investing needs a makeover. Too many people have the will to invest or the means to invest or both, but don't start investing for the simple reasons that they don't think it's for them or worse, they don't understand what all the jargon means. You work hard for your money, everyone does. The difference between just working and saving and moving to the next level and true financial empowerment is investing. And that's what this course is all about. I'm Jane Barrett. I want to share with you the importance of investing, what all that jargon means, how you can get started and the options for where you can go to be on your way. Investing isn't about being a day trader or only for the rich. It's about understanding the terminology, knowing what questions to ask, getting insight into your own risk tolerance. And most of all, trusting that you can do it one small step at a time. There's never a perfect time to get started investing. So let's consider today the perfect day.