Join Jane Barratt for an in-depth discussion in this video Advisor options, part of Managing Your Personal Investments.
- For as long as there's been money…there's been people who charge a fee…to hold it or manage it for you.…The world of financial advice is a vast and complex one,…and it can be hard to know where to start…when you decide you want some help.…If you have a complicated financial life…with property, children, different assets,…perhaps a business, maybe some debts,…and a complicated budget,…an advisor may be just the thing you need…to bring order to your investments.…First thing, consider your goals.…What problems are you looking to solve?…Is it to save you time across a variety of financial issues?…Is it to grow your nest egg?…Is it to help you budget and save?…Your goals will then narrow down the different types of…advisors that are right for you.…
Remember, an investment advisor is not necessariliy…a financial planner.…The difference is that an investment advisor is focused…on growing your assets,…and a financial planner is focused on…the spectrum of your financial life,…from insurance to trusts to budgets.…If it's the latter you want, look for someone…
Jane is the founder of GoldBean, an online investing platform that helps first-time and experienced investors alike take their investments into their own hands. In this course, she shares her investment strategies with you. She breaks down the market into its five basic building blocks—cash and equivalents, stocks, bonds, funds, and insurance products—and the different vehicles where you can invest these building blocks. She also covers topics such as the importance of a balanced portfolio, understanding and managing your risk, identifying value in the market, and building your "money muscles" over time. Plus, learn how to calculate the rate of return of a portfolio vs. general market performance. Last, Jane outlines the options for DIY investing, when it makes sense to work with an advisor, and how to avoid costly investment fees.
- Why should you invest?
- Understanding compound interest
- Comparing stocks, bonds, and funds
- Managing risk
- Building a portfolio
- Finding where to invest money
- Working with a financial advisor