Reports are easier to decipher if the information is grouped together in logical groups and sorted in alpha or numeric order. In this video, learn how to group data by one or more fields, and how to sort data.
- [Instructor] We can create a report that displays all or some of the data in our tables but to pull just what you need and format it in a way that is meaningful to others can be easily accomplished by using group and sort. We can also make our field labels clearly indicate the data sheet content. After watching this video, you'll know how to group and sort your data in a report, and how to add controls such as labels to your report. Let's jump right into our Group and Sort Database. We have a report that's already created. I'll show you how to create groups and sorts in an existing report. I'll open it up. Here's our data and it would be easier to understand if we grouped our data by region and then sorted the data by order date. Let's go into Design View, on our Report Design Tools, Design tab, we'll click on Group & Sort. Click on Add a group and select Region. Let's see how that looks in our Report View. Now, all of our East region is grouped together. It makes a little more sense. Let's go back into Design View and we're going to sort our order date from oldest to newest. And there is our grouped and sorted information. So this was an existing report. I want to show you how you can create a new report using the Report Wizard and add your grouping and sorting as you're creating the report. Create, Report Wizard. We'll use the 2018 Orders table. Select all of the fields and click Next. This is where we can group on Region. Now, we can take it a step further and group on Order Status also. Click Next. Ascending by order date, Next and we'll leave it in a stepped format and Finish. So, if you use the wizard, you have more control over the layout of your reports but either way, you now know how to create a new report using the wizard adding groups and sorting functions and you know how to go into an existing report and add that grouping and sorting. I'm going to go back into the 2018 Orders data sheet. Let's go into Design View. There's no title on this document, so I'm going to add a label control so we can insert a title. Your control group is on your Report Design Tools Design tab. These are the controls that we have available to us. They're the same ones that you have available when you're working with your forms. We have labels, buttons, hyperlinks, we are just going to insert a label. Click and hold my mouse down and I'll draw out a rectangle and we will call this 2018 Orders By Region. Select that, I can format the text just as I do any other text. Control + B, we'll bold the text. I can resize the text by going to my Home tab. We'll bump it up to 18 points and now when we view our report, we clearly know what this report contains and those are some great tools that you can use to manage your tables.
- Modifying the database structure
- Managing table relationships and keys
- Exporting data
- Managing records and fields
- Creating and running queries
- Configuring form controls
- Modifying form positioning
- Grouping report fields
- Formatting reports
- Taking the practice exam