Table properties limit the type and amount of data you can store in specific fields. In this video, learn how to display a table property using the TableDef object.
- [Instructor] When a user adds data to a table,…there's a possibility they might need to know…the characteristics of that field.…For example, they might need to know…the maximum number of characters…that they can type into a text field.…If you want to give them the opportunity…to display that information using a VBA,…you can use the TableDef object's properties to do so.…I'll demonstrate how to do that in this movie.…I'm working in the course database…and I've opened the customer's table,…so you can see the field to which I'm referring.…
We're going to work with the customer full name field,…which is here,…and you can see that we have customer full name,…and it's combined from first name and last name,…with a space in between.…Because customer's can have long names…with multiple middle names, family names and so on,…we need to know how much room we have within this field.…To create my VBA code, I'll press Alt F11…and then in the visual basic editor,…click insert and create a new code module.…
I can start by creating my sub routine…
- Working with macros
- Running a VBA procedure
- Debugging VBA code
- Defining variables, constants, and calculations
- Displaying a calculated result in a message box
- Repeating tasks with loops
- Manipulating database objects
- Adding, editing, and deleting records
- Looking up values in a table
- Automating processes with macros
Skill Level Advanced
What you should know1m 38s
1. Introduction to Visual Basic for Applications
2. Define Variables, Constants, and Calculations
3. Add Logic to Your VBA Code
4. Debug Your VBA Code
5. Manipulate Database Objects Using DoCmd
6. Read and Manipulate Table Data
7. Manipulate a Database Using the Application Object
8. Control Forms and Reports Using the Me Object
9. Automate Processes Using Macros
Next steps1m 7s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.