Query objects play an important role in an Access database when it comes to revealing the story that all of your saved data tells. In this movie, Adam will show you how to use the query wizard to pull information from the three related data tables, combine the records together, and expose all of their details at once.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] Storing your data in a database is…a great first step, but the real benefit comes…when it's time to get that data back out.…More importantly, you want that data to help…inform decisions that need to be made, or to start…to reveal patterns that you can take action on.…In other words, you put your data into a database,…but you want to get information back out.…To do this, we are going to leverage the query object,…and it's my favorite part of the whole system.…Because our cables are related together,…we can use queries to merge details…across the related fields.…To do this, I'm gonna come up to the create tab…and find the query group here in the middle.…
Let's start with the Query Wizard.…The first step asks us which type…of query we'd like to make,…I'm gonna use the simple Query Wizard here,…and press OK.…Next we are going to choose field from the individual tables…that we'd like to see in our query.…Now I'd like to expand the room assignment data…to be able to simultaneously see the name…of the guest that checked in as well as the room name…
If you need a deeper dive into the topics discussed, check out Adam's Office 365: Access 2016 Essential Training course.
- Loading a premade template database
- Exploring the interface
- Defining data types
- Creating tables
- Defining table relationships
- Editing forms
- Creating queries and reports
- Editing reports in Layout view