Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Cascading the results, part of Access 2013: Tips & Tricks.
…One of the questions that I get all the time is how to create…a combo box that only shows options based on a selection in another combo box.…For instance, here on our add customer form, we…have combo boxes for cities and one for states.…Not every combination of city and state are valid.…For instance, I wouldn't want anybody to…be able to choose Los Angeles and Connecticut.…What I need to do is filter those city…list based on selections made in the state combo box.…This is called a cascading combo box and it's surprisingly easy to set up.…To do that I'm going to take my ad…customer form and switch it into Design Gear.…
Then we're going to go ahead and edit the…query that's built behind this city combo box.…I'll click on the City box here.…And on the Data tab, I'm going to go to the Row Source.…This is the query that generates those results.…I'll click on that, and then choose the Build button over here on the right.…What I want to do is add in a new column here called State.…So I'll double click on the State field from the Customers table.…
- Creating a kiosk experience
- Hiding the ribbon
- Creating cascading combo boxes
- Working with hidden objects
- Creating a separate back end
- Building a dynamic reporting tool
- Writing custom functions in Visual Basic
- Distributing your application
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating a Start-up Experience
2. Creating Cascading Combo Boxes
3. Working with Hidden Objects
4. Working with Split Databases
Creating a back end3m 44s
5. Creating a Dynamic Reporting Tool
6. Aiding the End User
7. Writing Custom Functions in Visual Basic
8. Distributing Your Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.