Join Robin Hunt for an in-depth discussion in this video Calculating in Access 2013 tables, part of Building Solutions Using Excel 2013 and Access 2013 Together.
- In Access 2013, you have the ability…to actually calculate inside the table design.…This also expands our capabilities outside of queries…and inside to the actual data.…Remember we're working with a table…that was either imported or manually created.…This particular technique you can't do on a linked table.…Let's go take a look at ZipCodes, you can open it.…Now we're going to do a mass mailer to our employees,…and one of the things that the Post Office told us,…is that we're missing the dash, four digits at the end.…
So we need it to be "36009-" and then four zeros.…Now we can go build a query for this, but every time…we do this, month over month, we'd have to use that query.…It might be more convenient to build a field in.…I'm going to change to the design view.…I'm going to click in the first blank field name that I see.…I'm going to type "UpdatedZipCode".…
Now, instead of short text, what I'll…do is I'll choose "Calculated".…I'm going to double-click "ZipCode",…and if you remember that concatenate,…I'm going to type an ampersand, I'm going to do "- 0000".…
These techniques are the key to better personal productivity data systems. Start watching now.
- Using the Problem Steps Recorder
- Importing and linking Excel data as Access tables
- Creating queries with tables
- Calculating data in Excel vs. Access
- Building forms
- Creating reports for your solution
- Building macros to run imports and queries
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: How do I open the exercise files?
A: Press and hold Shift when opening the exercise files for this course.
1. Understanding How to Use Excel and Access for a Solution
2. Building Tables in Excel and Access
3. Calculating Data in Excel and Access
4. Building Forms for Your Solution
Setting the database options2m 53s
5. Building Reports for Your Solution
6. Building Macros to Run Imports and Queries
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.