Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Building expressions, part of Office 365: Access Essential Training.
- In all of the queries that we've built so far,…we've focused on starting with the data…that's in our data tables…and then filtering them using a variety of techniques.…Another very powerful ability of queries,…is to create new columns…that are calculated from existing data columns.…The advantage of this is that we don't need to actually…store this data in the database at all.…We could simply calculate it when we need it…and then get rid of it when we don't need it.…In our database, we currently have our room rates stored…and we can use this information…to calculate the various taxes that need to be collected…after a guest's stay.…
Let's go ahead and create a query…that's going to do that for us.…Once again, I'll go to the Create tab,…and start with a Query in Design view.…I'm going to add in the Guest table,…the Room Assignments table,…and the Room Rates table here.…That will add those three tables to our design…and we'll go ahead and close the Show Table window.…From the Guest table,…I'm going to double-click on first name and last name.…
The course also shows you how to build queries and action queries, create and design forms, use macros, integrate Access with the rest of the Office 365 suite, and maintain your databases over time.
- Creating a new database
- Creating tables and new data types
- Importing and entering data
- Setting up relationships and primary keys
- Adding validation rules
- Sorting and filtering table data
- Building queries
- Designing forms
- Creating reports
- Attaching macros to buttons and tables
- Working with Excel and Outlook data
- Maintaining an Access database
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Creating Tables
3. Setting Field Properties
4. Organizing Records
5. Using Queries
6. Working with Specialty Queries
7. Creating Forms
8. Designing Forms
9. Creating Reports
10. Working with Macros
11. Integrating Access with the Office Suite
12. Maintaining the Database
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.