Join Rick Schmunk for an in-depth discussion in this video Using osc amp envelopes to shape articulation and tone, part of Learning Ableton Operator.
- In subtractive synthesis, amp envelopes are largely used…to shape a sound's attack or how long it sustains.…In an FM synth like analog, the amp envelope…can also be used to shape the timbre or tone of a preset.…Let's take a look at how the amp envelopes work.…So I'm going to grab an operator and drag that to the…first MIDI track in a default set,…and let's start off basic.…Let's just look at oscillator A and the amp envelope…and what settings do.…So I'm going to put that on saw 32 to start off with,…and then I'm going to go over and I'm going to click…the little box on the left hand side so that we see…the amp envelope graphic display.…
So again, we can make changes to these parameters…either by grabbing the handles, these little yellow boxes…that we see on the orange line;…or you can go down and you can click in any of the…corresponding fields and either click and drag…or type a value.…For example, if I extend the attack on this by grabbing…this handle up in the upper left-hand corner,…you'll see the value in the attack field down here change.…
- Choosing an oscillator waveshape
- Customizing oscillator waveshapes
- Sculpting sound with filters and filter envelopes
- Creating motion with LFOs
- Creating process EP, house bass, ambient FM, and other synth sounds