Learn how to use Operator, Ableton Live's virtual synthesizer, to create unique synth sounds.
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Rick Schmunk, and I'm very happy to present to you Up and Running with Ableton Operator. Ableton Live is a digital audio workstation designed to help you compose, record, and mix your musical ideas. I'll be teaching you Ableton Operator and the basics of FM synthesis including how to choose wave forms and use filters, envelope generators, and LFO's to shape the sound. I'll show you how to stack (mumbles) to fatten the sound or to enhance the sound's stereo image.
Then I'll show you how to apply effects like EQ, saturation, and compression to add character. Finally, I'll show you how to combine effects and layer software instruments using live racks and then map their parameters to knobs and switches on your controller so that you can adjust them in live performance or use them as you record automation. So let me show you how to create and shape sounds using Ableton Operator.
- Choosing an oscillator waveshape
- Customizing oscillator waveshapes
- Sculpting sound with filters and filter envelopes
- Creating motion with LFOs
- Creating process EP, house bass, ambient FM, and other synth sounds