Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding where to get a capella vocal tracks, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
One of the most frequently asked questions I'm asked is how to get ahold of…vocals to create your own remixes.…Well, one way that seems to be growing in popularity are what are known as remix contests.…Over the last few years, I have noticed that these contests are becoming…more and more popular.…And some major-label artists are even going this route in addition to…commissioning certain remixers to remix their tracks. While you'll most…likely be competing with many other remixers for those coveted few spots on the project,…it's a great way to force you to create a finished track. In other words, even…if your remix is not chosen for the final package, you now have something that…you can put on your remix reel.…
Another good way to get ahold of A capella vocal Stems is to approach local…bands or artists in your area.…If you know of local artist or bands that might be open to having their music…remixed, this can be a great way to get started.…In fact, when I lived in Nashville in the late 1990s, I began my remixing career this way.…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.