Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the roles of multiple DAWs in a time-stretching workflow, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
Since I own all four of the DAWs covered in this course I've been able to…spend many hours over the years, finding their strengths and limitations with…time stretching audio.…When the time stretches just a few BPM different from the original BPM, I…generally use the time stretching algorithms of the DAW that I am working in for…that particular project.…If I'm faced with an unusually large time stretch, I will time stretch the…vocals in several different programs and then pull all of the different time…stretches into the DAW that I'm working in so that I can audition each one side by side.…
This strategy is very effective and can sometimes be the difference between…creating a usable time stretch vocal and unusable one.…I hope this gives you a better understanding of how I use these tools to achieve…the best quality vocal time stretch possible.…I can't stress enough that when it comes to doing a full vocal mix, your remix…really is only as good as the quality of your time stretched vocals.…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.