Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Time stretching the vocals to a slower BPM, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
Now that we have the BPM of the original version, let's import the vocals.…I open up the Audio Bin, go to Add Audio File and select my vocal stems for…Breakdown Mode, drag the LEAD VOCAL out on to the Arrange window, next will be…Verse Bvs, next will be Vox Doubles, and I'll actually drag the Oohs down here,…and Logic will create a new track for me. There we go.…Let's take a listen to the vocals against the kick drum.…
I'll mute out the original and make sure that everything is sitting nice and…tight against the grid.…(music playing)…Everything sounds nice and tight so far.…
Let's scan further up into the song and just to be safe I'll lasso all these…tracks and bring the volume down just a little bit so that my kick drum isn't…fighting the vocals.…This is really about making sure that everything is locked up against 148 BPM kick drum.…(music playing)…Excellent. Everything sounds nice and tight against the kick drum.…
I'll return the playhead to the start of the song, and now it's time to…engage Logic's Flex mode.…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.