Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Time stretching the vocals to a faster BPM, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
As you can see, I made quite a few edit points to my audio clip, and while I…might be sitting in beat against my MIDI drums, I'm not 100% sure that my phrasing is accurate.…So I need to give myself a little bit more of a musical context, and I'm going to create a bass line.…So I'll create a Stereo instrument track using Xpand, and I'll just select…any kind of bass. We'll do a Fretless Bass, that's fine. We'll record enable the track.…(music playing)…Excellent! I'll give myself 1-bar pre-roll, and I already that this song is in G-Major, so…I pretty much know in my head a bass line that will probably work against the…vocals, if not all the way through the song for most of it.…
But I'm interested in coming up with an 8-bar pattern that I will paste…throughout this entire sketch arrangement, and then I'll go through and listen…to the vocals against the 8-bar arrangement to make sure that the phrasing will…work in a remix context.…(music playing)…Quantize my bass line to 16th notes, put Pro Tools in Grid mode, and trim off…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.