Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Time stretching in Pro Tools, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
As one of the most popular DAWs on the planet, Pro Tools is an excellent…platform for time stretching vocals.…I've been a Pro Tools user for over 15 years now, and many of my early…remixes were created in it.…Let's take a look at the Elastic Audio feature within Pro Tools, and I'll show…you how you can use it to time stretch a vocal.…We'll begin with a blank session, and I will import my vocal, and I'm going to…use the Iyeoka Simply Falling Acapella that I used in remixing a course in…Logic Pro, and I'll add this to the audio bin.…
It'll convert it and place it in the Audio Files folder that's attached to the Session folder.…I'll choose New Track, and here we have Iyekoa_Simply_Falling_Dry_Acappella_112BPM.…The first thing I need to do is make sure that my session's BPM, or tempo, matches…that of the vocal that I just imported.…I will go up here and change my Tempo to 112 beats per minute.…
So up here we have 112 beats per minute, and it matches 112 beats per…minutes in the vocal.…Now just to make sure that everything is truly locked up against the grid, I…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.