Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Time stretching in Ableton Live, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
Ableton Live is sometimes overlooked as a vocal time stretching solution.…Over the years, I have mostly used it for drum programming and time…stretching loops, which I feel is one of the best programs for working in…those areas of production.…As I take you through a basic vocal time stretch, you'll notice that the process…is slightly different than Logic, Pro Tools and Reason.…I begin with a blank session that defaults to 120 beats per minute.…And since I know that the Iyeoka vocals is 112 BPM.…
I will change the sessions to tempo to match that of the vocal, I import it.…And you notice that Ableton predetermines a bunch of these warp markers which…we're not going to use. So I will turn off the warp marker feature.…And turn it back on, and you notice that all of the predetermined warp…markers have gone away.…I have the metronome on just to make sure that the vocal is indeed locked…up against the grid.…And I'll play it from the beginning, and we can take a listen.…(music playing)…Excellent. Everything sounds nice and tight. Let's move up here around the first chorus.…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.