Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track, part two, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
Now it's time to put our kick and snare in to give us a little bit more of an…anchor with the beat. (music playing)…I open up Xpand, and underneath Drums I will choose the Kicks+Snares+Sides menu,…which is a nice sampling of kick drums, snare drums, and side sticks.…There's my kick drum. (music playing)…There is my snare drum.…So I'll play these in against the hi-hat pattern that I've already recorded, and…I can close the Xpand window, and here we go. (music playing)…I expand the screen, highlight my MIDI region, under the Event dropdown menu, I…go to Quantize, and I will choose 8th note as my Quantize grid, close that,…highlight these four measures that I just played, and take a listen.…
(music playing)…I'll cut these MIDI regions out, return my playhead to the beginning of the…track, and paste, Command+V. And just like I did with the hi-hat pattern, I'll…use the Command+D key to just duplicate this kick-snare pattern all the way…through the entire song.…
Now I'm still hearing a little bit of a drop-out in one of the hi-hat parts, so…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.