Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Subdividing 6/8 time and changing the time signature to 4/4, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
In addition to working with a vocal that has to be edited to sit tightly…against the grid, there is also the challenge of adapting it to a different time signature.…The original time signature of the song is in 6/8, or at least that's how I'm perceiving it.…The case could be made that it's in 12/8, but there are some gray areas when it…comes to time signatures, and some of it is subjective.…But at the end of the day, we know that we want our remix to be in 4/4 time.…So how do we get there from either a 6/8 or a 12/8 time signature?…One way is to listen to the track and find the slow to count.…
I'll play the track from the beginning and count in 6.…(music playing) 1-2-3-4-5-6…1-2-3-4-5-6 1-2-3-4-5-6…Or if I was to make the for case that this was 12/8, I'll count in 12.…(music playing) 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12…1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12…So again, it's subdivisions and more subdivisions.…
As we listen to the hi-hat pattern, listen to where the accents are falling,…that's giving us our slow to count.…(music playing) 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2.…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.