Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up your session for double timing a vocal, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
During this chapter, I'll be using Propellerheads Reason on the Mac Platform…for the demonstration.…The menu choices and keyboard shortcuts I'll be using are for that DAW and platform only.…If you're using a different DAW or if you're on a different platform obviously,…you'll be using different keyboard shortcuts and menus but the remixing…concepts will be the same.…If you need a refresher on your DAW choice, please seek out the Essential…Training Title for that DAW on the online training library here at lynda.com.…Additionally, you can reference the chapter in this course where I do your DAW…for the demonstration.…
And I'll show you the basic remixing tools and techniques for that DAW and then…return to this movie and go through this chapter's concepts with the techniques…appropriate to your situation in mind.…I'll begin with a blank Reason session as well as an MP3 opened up in the…QuickTime movie player.…Most of the time when I'm hired to do a remix, I'm sent the MP3 along with the…vocal stems, sometimes the MP3 comes first.…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.