Join J. Scott Giaquinta for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up a live vocoder, part of DJing with Ableton Live.
- I've already covered how to incorporate…a microphone and a midi keyboard…into your DJ sets, but now I'm going to show you…how you can combine the two and set up live vocoding.…So let's dive right in.…If you're not familiar with how vocoding works,…I suggest you check out my extreme sound mingling course…here on Lynda.com, the first chapter…goes into detail on how vocoding works…and how to set it up.…Now, I've loaded a session from earlier…where we set up a microphone and a limiter,…let's just make sure that that's still working.…Test, testing, 1, 2, 3.…Great, everything still works.…
Also, I've gone ahead and loaded a soft synth…that we'll be using as our carrier.…(music plays)…Alright, so I'm going to mute that track now…because we're only going to use it to control the vocoder.…Now I'm going to load a vocoder plugin…onto our microphone track, right before the limiter.…So let me move that right before the limiter.…So, now I'm going to set this to external…and then I'm going to make the carrier…the track that our soft synth is on.…
Scott next introduces some performance tricks to wow your audience, by integrating loops, samples, and FX. He also provides a demo of alternative controllers that can make your performances more dynamic, including a Wiimote, joystick, MIDI keyboard, and live vocoder. Finally, he discusses methods to record your live DJ set and fine-tune it after the fact.
- Setting hardware, software, and templates
- Configuring your MIDI controller
- Importing tracks
- Keying and warping tracks
- Cueing music
- Harmonic mixing
- Transposing tracks
- Changing tempo
- Working with alternative controllers
- Recording your set