Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Putting the time-stretched vocal in context, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
Let's spend a few minutes putting our vocal in a little bit of context.…We've got a kick drum from the EXS 909 kit.…I'll quickly add a hat and a snare just to give us a little bit more on the drums.…I'll use my Track Duplicate Feature.…(audio playing)…And I'll add the hi-hat next.…(music playing)…Quickly quantize that. I only need two bars.…
(audio playing) We'll loop this.…Use our Track Duplicate Feature (audio playing)…And add a snare drum.…(music playing)…Quantize to Quarter Notes and Loop.…(music playing)…Excellent. Now let's take a listen to the original so I can get a handle on what the chord changes are.…
I'll create a software instrument track right below the original, double-click…on the EXS, and I'll choose Piano from the EXS24.…(music playing)…That was working. So let's Solo out the original, and I will plunk around the piano till I get a…handle on what the chord changes are, and then I'll drop in a Reference or what…I call a mock bass line.…
(music playing)…So the chord changes to me sound like they are floating between B-flat miner,…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.