Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Putting the time-stretched vocal in context, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
Let's spend a few minutes putting these vocals in a bit more context. I'll create a…Dr. Octo Rex Loop Player, and I'll select under Drums > Electronic Drums > Electro…House, and let's take a listen to what this sounds like.…(music playing)…We have our kick drum.…(music playing)…Just a basic kick snare hat.…(music playing)…I'll go with Slot 2. So that'll be our beat.…
We can mute out Redrum.…Let's also pull up a piano, and I don't have to go up here to create.…I can also quickly right-click and create, and I'll just do a basic NN-XT…Sampler, I'll select Piano, we've got a bright piano sound.…(music playing) There we go.…I'll choose a basic NN19 Sampler for my piano sound.…I'll take a look at to SubTractor's patch library, go to Bass, and I happen to…know this sound and like this sound, Backlash Bass.…
(music playing)…It's coming a little bit hot, turn this down.…(music playing)…Excellent. So let's select the NN19 and go back to our QuickTime Player and take a listen…to the song, and get a handle on what some of the chord changes are.…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.