Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Putting the time-stretched vocal in context, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
Let's take a few minutes and put our vocals in to bit more context than just a kick drum.…I'll add two more audio tracks and again, you don't have to go about doing it…the way I'm doing it.…I've just been using Ableton so long, that I'm accustomed to using audio even if…its single shot audio samples as opposed to using a lot of MIDI.…Let's take a listen at some the snare drums.…(music playing)…I like that 707.…I'll drag that in, expand my view and drop that on beats 2 and 4, and we use our…Command+D, expand my view.…
I'll just duplicate that 1 bar phrase, from the beginning, all the way to the end.…And now lasso a larger region to speed this process up.…Let's name this track snare.…And I would like to add a hi-hat on the and of the beat.…Inside our Cymbal folder we have several different hi-hat options as well as crash symbols.…(music playing)…That will work, expand my view, and let's actually bring that in right at the beginning.…
And it will fall on the and of the beat. So 1.3, 2.3, 3.3, we will take a listen…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.