Join Evan Sutton for an in-depth discussion in this video Prepping to record musicians, part of A Prolific Music Producer's Workflow for Finishing Tracks.
- We've talked about prepping to record vocalists…which is really important and, may I add,…a glass of water is also a nice thing to have around,…but now I'd like to talk about prepping to record musicians…because it's of a different animal.…A lot of things are going to be very similar.…For example, we're going to need…a boat load of audio tracks.…All right, there we go.…Maybe I'll start out just be setting the session up…with the mics that I know I have up.…This is part of the planning of recording musicians.…You want to think about exactly what you're going to do…and before you start recording,…spend a good amount of time not only getting sounds,…but also just deciding what you're going to use.…
For example, if you're recording just a drummer,…maybe you want to set up some room mics…and things like that.…Spend a decent amount of time figuring that out.…Think about which guitar amps you want to use…and how many mics you need.…By the way, less is more when it comes to mics,…generally speaking.…Let's say we have two guitar amps…
Evan starts with the music production tools that can make it easier to see a song through to completion, such as templates, presets, and foolproof hardware setups. Next, he gets into the heavy lifting, mixing both songwriting and production techniques with tips for dealing with the psychological factors that may trip you up when completing a song. He wraps up the course with techniques that help to clear the final steps of song completion, including building transitions, adding ear candy, mixing strategies for increased efficiency, and simple mastering techniques, whether you choose to master your tracks yourself or hire a professional.
- Planning your track with a problem-solving mindset
- Prepping to record vocals and music
- Using DAW song templates
- Getting basic musical ideas down
- Making decisions that serve the song
- Using channel strip presets
- Creating sections and structure
- Building better transitions
- Adding FX, ear candy, and automation
- Mixing and mastering