Ableton Live 9 for Live Performance
In this course, Ableton Certified Trainer Yeuda Ben-Atar demonstrates how to use Ableton Live to its fullest potential in a live performance setting. First, learn how to choose the best MIDI controller to use with Ableton Live, and how to set it up properly to be used on stage. Then dive deeper into how to use MIDI mapping to get the most out of your controllers with Live. Next, Yeuda shares a number of techniques he employs as a live performer, like using cue points, looping, scratching, applying effects, and playing samples. He then shows how to create a live set, including organizing, exporting, and adding instruments and building custom effect racks.
Along the way, Yeuda reveals many live performance tricks using control surfaces and custom MIDI controllers that he's built, plus tips for playing and syncing up with other musicians and recording your live performance.
- Using Ableton Live or third-party controllers
- Choosing songs for a DJ set
- Building your decks
- Using EQ and gain to emulate mixer hardware
- Knowing when to use headphones
- Mapping the crossfader, EQ, and gain to MIDI controllers
- Looping with Beat Repeat
- Setting up multiple instruments on one track
- Creating a bus track for master effects
- Preparing your original productions for the stage
- Using commercial and custom MIDI controllers
- Live looping and live sample cutting
- Recording your live performance
- Hey, I'm Yeuda Ben-Atar, also known as SideBrain. Welcome to Ableton Live for Live Performance. To me music is about playing, and the digital environment of Ableton Live can allow us to be irresponsibly creative and experiment in a way that would be nearly impossible using conventional hardware music in. That said, it's important to take advantage of as many ways as possible to detach yourself from the computer when performing live. Throughout this course, I'll show you dozens of cool live performance techniques.
Whether you're a DJ, songwriter, or a producer. I'll start out by helping you choose the right midi controllers for your live setup. Then I'll show you how to DJ with Ableton Live by emulating a DJ booth with two decks and a mixer. Next, we'll see how to map a midi controller to Ableton Live. Then, I'll show you some more modern DJ techniques such as looping, and cue point juggling, and how to use them in your live DJ set. I'll also show you how to perform live with your own original material.
(techno beat music) And finally I'll show you some alternative performance techniques like live looping, and live synth and cut. (drum beat) Traditional musicians are different from computer musicians, in that tape player acoustic instruments and create sounds in real time. For us, the sounds already exist in the computer and we can control where, when, and how they will be heard.
Let's explore some powerful ways you can prepare your live set, and maximize your creativity on-stage with Ableton Live for Live Performance.
Up and Running with Server Core for Windows Server 2012 R234,753 Views
LP/w Design Studio, Interior and Graphic Design12,601 Views
Up and Running with Fitbit8,255 Views
Design the Web: Pie Charts with CSS26,598 Views
Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard: DNS and Network Services86,278 Views
Ableton Live 9 Essential Training806,447 Views
Audio Recording Techniques1,375,600 Views
Deke's Techniques1,567,617 Views
Logic Pro X Essential Training1,243,473 Views
After Effects CC Essential Training2,632,490 Views