Join J. Scott Giaquinta for an in-depth discussion in this video Keying your tracks, part of DJing with Ableton Live.
- Let's talk about harmonic mixing.…Harmonic mixing is mixing tracks that are not only…in the same key, but also with…keys that work with one another.…The first thing you have to do before that…can happen though is to key out your tracks.…So, how do you figure out what key your songs are in?…There are two ways.…Now if you don't have any musical training,…and you aren't even sure what keys are,…your best bet is to use a program called Mixed In Key.…Just go to mixedinkey.com and download a copy…for Windows or Mac, it's less that $100.…The second way, if you do have some musical training,…is to figure out the song's key by ear.…
This is how I do it.…Let's take a few of these tracks here in our folder,…and let's figure out their keys.…The first thing I'll do is to create…a MIDI track and load a softsynth.…It could be any softsynth really.…But I'll just use FM8 for simplicity's sake.…It has a keyboard at the bottom, which makes it easy to do.…So let's just see if this is working.…Turn this up just a little bit.…OK, so let's play a track.…
Scott next introduces some performance tricks to wow your audience, by integrating loops, samples, and FX. He also provides a demo of alternative controllers that can make your performances more dynamic, including a Wiimote, joystick, MIDI keyboard, and live vocoder. Finally, he discusses methods to record your live DJ set and fine-tune it after the fact.
- Setting hardware, software, and templates
- Configuring your MIDI controller
- Importing tracks
- Keying and warping tracks
- Cueing music
- Harmonic mixing
- Transposing tracks
- Changing tempo
- Working with alternative controllers
- Recording your set