Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Editing vocal phrasing to work with 4/4 time, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
Now it's time to dive in and edit our vocal in our new time signature of 4/4.…Before we play the vocal, I will mute the snare drum, but I will unmute it…later on once you've done more vocal editing.…I'll unmute the vocal track and take a listen to where the first note of…the first verse starts. (music playing)…Right off the bat I can hear that the 6/8 phrasing doesn't just work against the 4/4 time signature.…
So what we're going to need to do is go in and cut up each phrase and shove…it over a little bit later, because we've essentially added a quarter note to our time signature.…So before I even make my first edit point, I'm going to mute the vocal and sing…where I feel the vocal should start.…(music playing)…Sorry to subject you all to my singing.…
But it's more for a reference point of where the beat should fall.…Let's play the vocal muted, and I'll keep my start point in my head of where I…believe the vocal should land. (music playing)…Right on 16/3. I zoom in on my clip and use my Command+E to make a slice, expand…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.