Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Double timing the music and then time stretching the vocals to a slower BPM, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
You may remember from Chapter 2 in the course, when I provided an example of…time stretching a vocal in Reason. That it's best to set Reason to the BPM of the…audio file prior to importing it.…We've already established that the original tempo of the song is 68 Beats Per…Minute, and we've also established that we are ultimately going to double time the music.…Before I import the vocals, I will double time the tempo right now.…So 68 times 2 is 136. Underneath File, I choose Import Audio File.…
I'm going to choose the dry vocals, I prefer to use dry vocals whenever possible…especially when it comes to time stretching, that way I'm not adding a layer of…treatment to the audio file that needs to be time stretched.…We'll select Open, and boom there's our Background vocal.…Now to avoid importing an audio file on top of another audio file, I'll select…Redrum, choose Import Audio File and then choose the Lead Vocal Dry.…And as you can see, it created a brand new audio track and named the track the name of the file.…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.